San Mateo County's land uses and features are as diverse as its citizenry. The 13th largest county in California, it covers 741 square miles, located between San Francisco, Santa Clara, and Santa Cruz Counties, with some 100 miles of coastline along the San Francisco Bay and Pacific Ocean.
Under the direction and supervision of San Mateo County Sheriff, Carlos Bolanos, it is our Office's duty and honor to provide:
- Comprehensive law enforcement services for more than 70% of the County.
- Direct jurisdiction over the unincorporated areas in the County.
- Contract police services for the Peninsula Corridor Joint Powers Board (Caltrain) and the San Mateo County Transit District (SamTrans).
- Investigative services for the San Francisco International Airport.
- Contract law enforcement services for the cities and towns of Half Moon Bay, Woodside, Portola Valley, San Carlos, and Eichler Highlands.
Former Sheriff Munks and his Office have also incorporated the objectives outlined in the County's Shared Vision 2010. The Vision is a plan that seeks to avoid crisis-driven policies and support comprehensive and coordinated community-wide planning. To that end, Former Sheriff Munks and his Office collaboratively work with the law enforcement agencies of the County's other sixteen towns and cities in order to protect and enhance the health, safety, welfare, and natural resources of the community and to provide quality services that benefit and enrich the lives of all San Mateo County residents and visitors.