Vehicle Releases & Requirements
* * *Records counters at the Hall of Justice, Half Moon Bay, and Millbrae are now open with each able to serve one person at the counter at a time. Counter services including report requests, vehicle releases, and clearance letters are still available remotely through fax, email, or mail. Those with requests or questions can email firstname.lastname@example.org, fax (650) 365-9884, or call (650) 363-4525. * * *
Once the San Mateo County Sheriff’s Office impounds a vehicle, the owner is required to obtain a Vehicle Release prior to picking the vehicle up from the tow company. In order to obtain a Vehicle Release:
- You must be the Registered Owner
- You must have a valid driver’s license (if you do not have a valid driver’s license, you must have valid government photo identification, and you must bring a driver that has a valid driver’s license)
- You will need the license plate number of your impounded vehicle or your case number
- The fee for a vehicle release depends on where your vehicle was impounded, and it must be paid with exact cash.
To determine the amount, please refer to the fee schedules under office locations below as follows.
*Please use the fee schedule associated to where your vehicle was impounded.
For your convenience, Criminal Records Services are provided at the following locations:
Redwood City Main Office
400 County Center, 3rd Floor
Hall of Justice & Records
Redwood City, CA 94063
Monday - Friday (except holidays)
7:30 AM - 5:45PM
Half Moon Bay Substation
537 Kelly Avenue
Half Moon Bay, CA 94019
Monday-Thursday (closed Fridays and holidays)
8:30AM - 4:30 PM
581 Magnolia Avenue
Millbrae, CA 94030
Monday - Thursday (closed Fridays and holidays)
9:00AM - 5:00PM
San Carlos Substation
600 Elm Street
San Carlos, CA 94070
Monday, Tuesday, Thursday (closed Wednesdays, Fridays, and holidays)
8:00AM - 5:00PM
Important: If you are requesting a Vehicle Release after normal office hours, on weekends, or on holidays, you must email email@example.com for assistance.